Slow Terminal Servers
- Are you seeing slow terminal server performance?
- Can you shape the performance of your terminal servers?
- Do you know if your terminal server’s CPU, memory and paging resources are being utilized efficiently?
Centrally Manage Server CPU Resources
Quite often single-user applications cause terminal server performance problems that negatively impact user productivity. When a rogue application uses a high percentage of CPU cycles, it causes all the other applications on the multi-user terminal server to pause or run slowly. How can you fix this bandwidth utilization problem so that applications can’t use too many CPU resources? Application Shaping.
Application Shaping stops bandwidth-intensive applications from using more than their fair share of CPU resourcesradically improving both server performance and the user experience while freeing administrators from the time-consuming task of manually addressing issues arising from these rogue applications.
TScale's Application Shaping gives system administrators of terminal servers pinpoint control over application behavior, providing consistent, reliable response time for key applications to enhance end-user satisfaction. TScale's flexibility allows administrators to implement policies across the server farm that automatically prevent instances of rogue applications from running away with CPU resources and damaging the end-user experience.
||Read more about Application Shaping in our white paper, Conquering Rogue Application Behavior in a Terminal Server Environment.
Download the white paper now
Setting Application Affinity and Application Priority
RTO’s Application Shaping primarily uses two features that can be applied separately or together to control rogue applications – Application Affinity and Application Priority.
Application Affinity allows an administrator to specify which of the CPU's in a multi-CPU server an application should run on, allowing the administrator to limit the damage of a badly behaved application.
Application Priority allows the administrator set CPU resource thresholds. When an application consumes resources beyond its set threshold, TScale lowers the application’s priority, directing the CPU to service other applications running on that CPU before giving more resources to the rogue application.
Together these features can give an administrator much greater control over application performance, markedly improving the performance of the server.
Click picture to enlarge.
Maximize Your Bandwidth Utilization with TScale
When setting the application priority, several other solutions use a clamping mechanism by which no process is allowed to use greater than a certain percentage of the CPU cycles. So if you have a process limited to 30% utilization, and the rest of the processes are taking about 50% of the remaining CPU cycles, then your server will utilize only 80% of its available bandwidth. The other 20% of the CPU resources will appear to be available while in actuality they are being wasted.
However, there is no reason for a process not to get all the CPU cycles it needs, so long as it waits its turn. RTO TScale’s Application Shaping maximizes your bandwidth utilization by making 100% of the CPU resources available based on user demand.
Automatically Balancing the Workload among Processors
Many client applications work better on a single processor than on multiple processors. This is especially true in a published application/desktop environment. TScale’s third Application Shaping feature, Dynamic CPU Balancing, applies the most efficient affinity scheme for running processes, causing applications that perform more efficiently on a single processor to operate on a single processor automatically—effectively load balancing processors. TScale allows applications which perform best on multiple processors to operate without change.
Enable optimization of your terminal servers and improve their efficiency!
With RTO TScale®, you can optimize the use of valuable CPU, memory and paging
resources so you can get the most out of your investments in leading
terminal servers such as Citrix XenApp™ (formerly Presentation Server), Microsoft® Terminal
Services and Ericom PowerTerm® WebConnect!
Explore the links in the “Quick Links” section on the right and get more
details on the capabilities and benefits of using RTO TScale® or request a free trial now.